VPN connection with clients configured for proxy

Unanswered Question
Mar 27th, 2001
User Badges:

We have a department that uses an Altiga Client to connect to another company's 3030 VPN concentrator running ver. 3.0 software. While everyone else in our company goes through a Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 for their internet access, this department has been given modem lines because this other company says a vpn connection cannot be made using proxy server. Security policy states that all modems are to be done away with meaning I need to find a way to make this work and I am not very knowledgeable on vpn technology to ask the right questions of this company...how can i get this done.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
beth-martin Wed, 04/04/2001 - 09:06
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

It’s true that you can’t run your VPN tunnel through a proxy server. I don’t completely understand your design but I’ll take a crack at it. You can route the VPN tunnel traffic directly (around the proxy server) and acl the rest of the traffic out. Maybe looking at a proxy replacement like the PIX with URL filtering might better fit your security policy. Then you can setup your VPN tunnels right on the PIX.

Hope this helps

khusted Thu, 04/05/2001 - 06:14
User Badges:

Actually I have figured out away of doing this with proxy still functioning properly. did some configuring of the ports on proxy a nice feature but it doesn't allow me to restrict use of ports by ip like a firewall would. We are looking at other option for our security. Thanks you very much for your response

Actions

This Discussion