View Mail / IMAP

Unanswered Question
May 9th, 2001
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

I am using Outlook 2000 with the View Mail utility. View Mail is not executing when a mail is received. Checked the message class and sure enough it is IPM.NOTE. I am using IMAP (only choice besides POP3) to commmunicate to the runtime Exchange Server that comes with Unity. Does IMAP work with this? What should I run? Thanks. <br><br>

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 05/10/2001 - 11:47
User Badges:

You should be able to get this to work via IMAP, but I’m not able to get my in house configuration setup to prove it one way or the other right now. I use Outlook at home but I VPN in and connect directly to Exchange instead of using POP3 or IMAP. There’s a couple of quick things you can look at…

1. Can you send rich text format messages (i.e. set colors and fonts all funky) and get them at the client in that format or are they just plain text?
2. On the Exchange server, select one user you’re trying to do this with, open their recipients object up and go to the “protocols” tab. Select the IMAP4 option and double click it. It’s probably configured to use the defaults which probably doesn’t include “use Microsoft Exchange rich text format”. Try over riding the defaults for this guy and selecting the rich text option there. The account is setup to allow this since they can’t be a Unity subscriber unless they do, but it still might not be enabled here.

Searching around on MSDN there’s also some comments about some ISPs not supporting TNEF (the concept where custom message information is bundled up into a binary “blob” when going through SMTP-land and the receiving client unpacks it), but that seems like a long shot to me… I’d be shocked to find too many ISPs stripping this information off.

Give the rich text stuff a try and see if enabling that allows the custom message classes to come through as well. And be sure to let us know how it goes… I’m sure other folks are interested.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
[email protected]
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 05/14/2001 - 04:39
User Badges:

I've also seen some versions of the McAfee Email Scan 'modify' the message class -- so if there is any anti-virus software running an email filter, try disabling it temporarily to see if that helps.

brbrown Thu, 05/17/2001 - 04:05
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Jeff, I was out on some much needed PTO. First thing I did when I got back was change the option you suggested and presto, everything works as prescribed. YOU are the MAN (or should I say Monkey)! Thanks. BB

Actions

This Discussion