cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Security Solution

dsware
Level 1
Level 1

I have heard a lot of talk about Wireless Security. And have at least a working knowledge of the two possible solutions, VPN and EAP. However, how to choose the best possible solution? VPN is expensive and still leaves me vulnerable to Impersonation attacks. EAP is cheaper but nonetheless leaves me vulnerable to Brute Force attacks. Of course the chances of someone walking into our building(s) and stealing a laptop with VPN software on it are probably greater than any of the aforementioned threats. I guess what I'm looking for is a "voice from above" to guide me on which solution I can take to my superiors and say "This is what we are going to do" and why solution X is better than solution Y.

Thanks!

STU...

2 Replies 2

j-block
Level 4
Level 4

myanalitis
Level 1
Level 1

Stu,

VPN vs WLAN: To what degree do you want to geographically control access? If WLAN is

attractive because you’re looking at a LAN bridging solution, then VPN is over-kill. But if the distances are great (connecting from home) WLAN is out. In WLAN terms how big is your proposed "cell" (800m) or is the reach of users measured in miles? I can share with you an outline of WAP security controls for WLAN if what you’re leaning toward is a LAN-bridging solution. That should help you get your arms around security for a Cisco-centric WLAN solution. I do security 100% of the time, and I just finished due-diligence for WAP WLAN bridging.

-Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card