cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MWIs out of synq

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a few new MWi out of Synq issues that are not mentioned in the ** MWI trouble shooting guide **.<br><br>1. Unity thinks that Return recipt messages are voice mails. How do you stop this from happening?<br><br>2. Unity thinks that message undeliverable emails are voice mails. How do you stop this from happening?<br><br>3. MWi(s) get out of synq randomly during the day. The phone never looses its conenction to the CM or AV, but the MWi has to be manually re-synq'ed<br><br>If you are out of VM ports and you press the message button on the phone how does Unity respond?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>esimmons<br><br>

8 Replies 8

Not applicable

In response to "If you are out of VM ports and you press the message button on the phone how does Unity respond?"...

It's not a matter of how Unity is going to respond, it is a matter of how CallManager is going to respond. Most likely, you are going to hear a busy signal as CallManager has cycled through the VM ports and has discovered they are all busy.

Not applicable

OK, that makes sense. What about a case where we want to have a seperate message store for voicemail and email. IE, a user's voicemail messages won't show up in email box when they are logged in through outlook. WE have a few select users on this install who do not want to see their voicemail messages show up in their regular exchange inbox.

Thanks,
David

Not applicable

The only way to do that is to have a completely seperate mailbox for their voice mail that's hidden from the address book. If folks are leaving voice mail via the desktop, they will still send it to these folk's email address, of course, since that's the only one visible in the directory. It'll just show up as an email with an attached WAV file for them.

I've had a number of folks think they didn't want voice mail in their inbox since they didn't want "all that clutter"... frankly, they aren't thinking it all the way through in most cases and normally they end up changing their mind later down the road (this happens pretty frequently). This is the reason I have the "move subscriber information" tool on my web site... it lets you move subscriber information from a "voice mail only" account onto a standing email account so the admin doesn't have to suffer too much when the end user decides they really would like the benefits of unified messaging after all.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Yes, undeliverable messages are set to appear in the voice mail stack. Long, ugly story on why that’s necessary having to do with maximum message class filter lengths in Microsoft land and not wanting to short-change folks that don’t have TTS Email option etc… this cannot be changed as NDRs are considered critical (i.e. you’d certainly want to know if a message you sent didn’t get delivered).

Return receipts, however, can be excluded since they’re not considered critical as NDRs are. You can change this behavior for 2.4.5 and later in the registry. Go to:

HKLM\ SOFTWARE\ Active Voice\ Conversations\ 1.0\

You should see a key there called “Exclude Return Receipts” that’s a DWORD which defaults to “0”. If you set this to 1 and restart Unity, receipts will no longer be included in the voice mail stack for all users. If you don’t see the key name there you may have to add it. 2.4.6 build 102 should have it there by default but 2.4.5 didn’t and upgrades may not add it automatically.

The MWI out of sync thing could be a few different things. If you can hit the resync button for that user and their lamp kicks back into shape, that would seem to point to some sort of issue with the CM connection.

Unity only sends lamp on or offs when the message box transitions from having no voice messages to having 1 or more or when it has 1 or more voice messages to none. We don’t send a lamp on, for instance, when a user already has 2 voice mails and a 3rd arrives. We keep track of if we think the lamp is currently on or off in the subscriber record itself (which is reflected in the SA under that user’s message page). So if we think the lamp is on we’re not going to kick out more lamp codes for that guy. When you hit the resync button for that subscriber, we will send a lamp on/off request based on the flag in the subscriber record (i.e. we don’t go out and check their mailbox status again).

It’s possible that the lamp on we send, for whatever reason, was not acted on by CM (seen this in a few cases). This could cause the problem you’re talking about. You can verify this by running a quick test if you get a user in this state again. If their lamp is not on and it should be on, mark all their voice messages in their inbox as read, then mark one of them unread. If the lamp kicks on, you’ll know our ability to monitor the inbox is still OK and the problem is probably the one I describe above. If not, then the problem is the notifier is not properly logged into that mailbox and we have an issue we need to look into.

NOTE: We can change the behavior of Unity to always send lamps on every mailbox state change with a registry edit but I don't reccomend it since the lamp traffic will get VERY heavy then. You can also configure Unity to force a system wide lamp resync on a daily schedule by going to the switch page and selecting a time for that... this is done for some switches that, for whatever reason, feel the need to turn all lamps off a midnight and the like. This can help as well.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

OK,
The System Undeliverable Message issue is OK
We fixed the return receipt issue - Thank you...
BUT the MWI issue still plagues us and our costumers. We have seen times when there will be no unread messages in the users in box and the MWI will stay on. I have never seen an issue where the lamp will not light. The issues always revolve around the lamp not going off.

Any ideas?

Have you added a bunch of users (100+) without running the Exchange Optimizer?

-Dustin

Not applicable

Nope. It is happening on both a 20 and a 50 user sustem that we are running. I can make it happen if I forward a message to another user from the phone and then deleate the message.

Not applicable

We'll likely have to reproduce the MWI issue with traces on. Might want to give TAC a call on this one.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: