cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

transfer a call to voice mail

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have Unity 2..4.6 and CallManager 3.0.9. <br>I used to be able to transfer a caller directly into somebody's voice mailbox by using the following procedure:<br><br>Pick up a call and press the key for Transfer on my IP phone;<br>Dial Unity voicemail extension;<br>When voicemail responses with ¡°please enter your password¡±, press the * button twice;<br>When voicemail responses with ¡° if you¡¯d like to try an extension¡­¡±, dial the extension number you want to transfer the call to, followed by #2;<br>Press the key for Transfer on your phone again. <br><br>But now when I press the * key twice; my IP phone is put in Hold and I can't enter the extension number + #2.<br><br>I recently upgraded my CallManager server to 3.0.9 and Unity to 2.4.6. Any changes? If yes, how can I transfer an imcoming call to somebody's voice mail?<br><br>Thanks.<br><br><br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

yeah, got a lot of people that got tripped up by that changes.

In 2.4.6 we fixed a problem where you couldn't force Unity to hang up using a series of "*"s from anywhere in the conversation. This was necessary if, for instance, you tried to conference someone in and got forwarded to their voice mail. With someone else on the line you don't want to drop, you couldn't just hang up... and you'd both have to sit there and listen to Unity droning on until the conversation finally finished out on it's own. Kinda ugly.

In 2.4.6 from anywhere in the conversation if you crank on enough * keys, Unity will hang up. Usually 3 or 4 at most are all that's necessary unless you're real deep down into some sub menues in the subscriber setup conversation.

To do this we changed the behavior of the subscriber sign in conversation. When it asks you to enter an ID if the first digit it sees from you is "*" we hang up. If the first digit it hears is "#" we send you back to the opening greeting.

So when you dial in and it says please enter your password, hit * once to back up to the "please enter your ID", then hit # and you should be back at the opening greeting.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

So it IS something in 2.4.6...

But, how can I transfer an incoming call to somebody's Unity voice mailbox(not an extension) now with 2.4.6?

Thanks.

Not applicable

You can still do it in the same way, you just can't hit * twice like you did before. The subscriber sign in conversation has two parts:

1. The ID collection
2. The Password collection.

If you call into Unity directly from an known subscriber's extension, #1 is skipped and you hear the password collection prompt. From here you hit * to back up to #1 (in VMUIP * always means back up a level). Then you'll hear "please enter your id" which is #1. Hit # here and you'll be back at the opening greeting.

Either that you you can simplify this somewhat by making a dedicated number folks can dial when they want to get into Unity without having us attempt to log them in. You can creat a routing rule, for instance, that say if the dialed number is "9100" send the call directly to the opening greeting. All other calls fall through and attempt the sign in or forward to personal greeting or whatever. This would make the process somewhat simpler for folks since they could just dial 9100, then when Unity picks up dial the extension #2 and hang up.

either way, you can still make this work in much the same way in 2.4.6 as in previous versions.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: