cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the Unity Service Account password

maratimer_2
Level 1
Level 1

Our Unity Service account is a seperate account from Exchange/W2K admins. We would like to change the password for the Unity Service account as soon as possible. Is there a defined process for this or is it as simple as changing the password in Active Directory? Thanks.<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

From the 2.4.6 release notes:

============================

1. Log on to the Unity Server with the Unity administration account
2.Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
3.Click on Change Password
4.Enter the old password and enter and confirm the new password
5.Click OK
6.Click OK at the “password has been changed” dialog
7.Click Cancel at the WindowsNTSecurity box
8.Open ControlPanel>Services
9.Highlight AvCsGateway
10.Click on Startup
11.Enter the new password that you used for the Unity administration account and confirm in the LogOnAs section
12.Click OK
13.Repeat steps 9 thru 12 for AvCsMgr and AvMalSvr.
14.Go to Start>Programs>MicrosoftExchange>MicrosoftExchangeAdministrator
15.Highlight “Configuration” in the tree beneath your ORG and SITE
16.Click on File>Properties
17.Click on the “Service Account Password” tab
18.Type in and Confirm the new password
19.Click OK
20.Restart the Unity server and log on with the new password

In most cases, that should be sufficient. If problems arise you may need to also perform the following steps:
A.Start Programs>WindowsNT4.0OptionPack>MicrosoftTransactionServer>TransactionServerExplorer
B.Expand Microsoft Transaction Server in the tree
C.Expand Computers
D.Click OK to the Catalog Error that appears
E.Click Yes to the Catalog Error to reset the identity back to the default (“Interactive User”)
F.Click OK to the Catalog Error that confirms the identity has been reset
G.Close the Microsoft Management Console
H.Click Yes to save the console settings
I.Restart the Unity server and log on with the new password

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

ok, have tested this in the lab. Is it necessary to stop the unity services first before changing the password? I stopped the Unity service before changing the password on the services but it would be good if we didnt have to stop the service on the production servers. What's your recommendation on this?
I know the documented process doesnt say to stop the services, just want to get your opinion on this.

I believe if you change the password while we're running it should be OK and the next time you restart the system we'll snag a new token with the new password... I haven't tried this myself and I don't have equipment to test it here. I've had site sthat have changed the password without realizing the trouble it would cause and there's not problem UNTIL they restart the system some days or weeks later (leading to all kinds of fun troubleshooting scenarios) so I'm reasonably sure we'll continue to operate OK through the process.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: