cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Call Forwarding - Possible Loop Problems?

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a case in which a group wants to set up their phones to forward to another member of the group by pressing "0" during the greeting. I have a concern about the possibility of a loop occurring if multiple members of the group are out of the office. For example, if John Smith has a forward to Jane Doe, who has a forward to Richard Roe, who has a forward to John Smith and all are out of the office, will this keep looping and tie up the system causing a potential system failure? This is all regarding setting this up through Unity in the Caller Input section and locking the "0" key, not setting up Call Forwarding on the phone. Please advise as to whether this will cause a problem or if there is a failsafe measure in place to stop a loop once it gets back to the originator. Thanks.<br><br>

3 Replies 3

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

If I am understanding you correct you have nothing to worry about. Once the outside caller hangs up Unity will always terminate the call. These types of transfers are normal operation for the Unity system. Unity will function fine.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Not applicable

You mentioned, "a group wants to set up their phones to forward to another member of the group by pressing "0" during the greeting"

Unity doesn't forward phones or calls, it only transfers (and recalls in the case of a supervised transfer) calls. Only CallManager can forward phones. It's probably just a mix up in the words, but it does help to keep things clear in your example.

In your following example:

John Smith has a forward to Jane Doe, who has a forward to Richard Roe, who has a forward to John Smith

If Unity release transfers to John Smith, and your phones are forwarded in this condition, you have a loop. There is nothing that Unity can do about it, it doesn't control forwarding. It's done a release transfer, and has gone along its merry way. However, I believe there is a CallManager service parameter (something like MaximumForwardHopCount) that will limit the number of times the loop will process. Once again, I turn to the intrepid Keith and Dustin for their input.

If the transfer to John Smith's phone is supervised, eventually (depending upon the number of rings configured for John's subscriber box) the transfer will time out and Unity will pull the call back and play John's greeting. That'll be the case regardless of who's extension was ringing when the transfer timed out. Make sense?

Maybe I interpreted your example all wrong, that's just how I saw it.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

The MaximumForwardHopCount parameter is in fact the parameter that stops forwarding loops. However, you mentioned that the users will need to press '0' before being transferred, so the loop will terminate when the user hangs up, or stops pressing '0'.

-Dustin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: