cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Wireless Security Risks

dsware
Level 1
Level 1

With the recent reports on wireless security and WEP being more "hackable," (http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5095205,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01) do the powers that be, at Cisco, still believe that LEAP is a secure alternative to WEP?

2 Replies 2

cody.roche
Level 1
Level 1

If you look an the Cisco WLAN security information I think you'll find the answer to be maybe.

For a average network with average data I think so. Changing the keys often will provide adequate security, however not without risk.

Cisco has also started recommending the use of a VPN to secure critical wireless communications. This recommendation came about shortly after the Berkley WEP (in)security paper was released. This VPN use stance also matches the Berkley researchers recommendations.

James Strong
Level 1
Level 1

there is a new algorythm (I never can spell this right!!) to double hash the initialization vectors of the WEP keys. This will make WEP more secure. Also, by all means, use MAC filtering. Add LEAP on top of this, and you should be pretty secure. And remember, LEAP is not an alternative to WEP, but an add-on,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card