cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

double emails

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Customer has an issue with double emails: they do not want to import all users from Exchange 5.5 hence we have to create some of them on Unity server. To do this, we have to create second email alias for those because they already have email alias on Exchange. Now customer is receiving double emails, how can we get rid off the second email alias which was created on Unity ? <br> Unity would not allow us to create subscribers with same email alias with Exchange nor without alias. Please help. Thank you very much.<br>Duc Vu<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

I'm kinda confused about what you guys did here and why...

why did you create second email aliases for everyone on the local Unity server in the first place? Was the customer not wanting voice mails in the same inbox for some reason or another? We get this from time to time, usually out of a lack of understanding of how this works. I have a tool on my web page that's designed to help folks correct for this mistake by moving subscriber information from one account to another (i.e. from the dummy voice mail account to the user's real email account) since this has happened several times in the field and then, of course, the customer changes their mind.

I'm also confused how you would be getting double emails. Unless you tried to get cute and forward emails from these local dummy accounts to the user's "real" email account I can't see how this would be happening. Is that what you guys tried to do?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Sorry for the confusion. It's because customer does not want to have all voice mails forwarded to their Exchange database (hard disk limitation) so we thought creating new subscribers on Unity (instead of "Importing from Exchange) will keep those voice mails locally for later retrieval. I there another way to do this ? Thanks for help.
Duc Vu

Not applicable

No, there isn't another way to handle this. If they don't want Unified messaging they have to deal with seperate accounts for email and vocie mail. And yes, this is a really, really bad idea and almost everyone that does it ends up coming back to unified given it's very clear advantages for end users and administrators. This is why I created the "move subscriber info" tool on my web page... folks make this mistake a lot.

Hard disk space is cheap. The cost and extra overhead involved in maintaining two seperate mailboxes for each user will far exceed the cost of them adding a server to their site and doing some basic load ballancing.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)