Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Can you VPN to work through a 776 router rather than a dialup?

Unanswered Question

Situation: My wife and I suddenly need to VPN to our workplaces. Previously, we used Extranet Client via dialup, but our workload has increased and dialup won't cut it. I have an ISDN connection via my 776 router which works fine for internet, but will not for VPN. I am guessing this is because the Private IP addresses are being encapsulated in the VPN tunnel and thus there is no return traffic (the 776 uses PAT). I have recently requested registered IPs from my ISP. However, they are contiguous. Is there a way to use these 6 IPs to successfully? Can I have the serial and "LAN" interfaces on the same segment? I'd hate to have to ditch the router and put ISDN TA cards in all my PCs. There has to be a way to do this? IF not, could I just get a BRI module for my lab 1601 and use this instead?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
a-vazquez Wed, 09/05/2001 - 14:07
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

The best solution for you would be NAT transparency but this is only supported on the VPN client to VPN concentrator currently. The only other option is to disable NAT overload (PAT) and give all your PC’s a since IP address (you can still pool these and dynamically assign them in the 776). You could then rfc1918 the inside network and dynamically NAT to the Internet.

willturn Tue, 09/18/2001 - 06:40
User Badges:

Been there done that. 776 was made before VPN technology existed. There are no VPN protocols that the 776 will support. Get the BRI for the 1601. I had to scrap a 776 for an 802.

Actions

This Discussion