cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Tunnel via ADSL

bkrautner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I've a client who has a functioning ADSL connection. He wants to be able to set up a VPN so that he can log onto his ISP at home, then tunnel back to his office via the office ADSL connection.

He asked that an IP NAT INSIDE STATIC TCP n.n.n.n 1743 ATM0.0 statement be added which he believed would allow it work as software on his server is reponsible for managing the VPN.

However, this doesn't work. Anybody know what he really needs to make it work?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

What VPN software are you using? Windows PPTP uses 1723 TCP and IP protocol 47 (GRE). What is the termination point of the tunnel? A Microsoft Server? If the tunnel transverses the router and you are not using port translation, you probably don’t need any config changes on the router. If you are using port translation, You need to get a static IP for your translation.

Hi, thanks for your response. Client is using Windows PPTP. Termination point is a Microsoft Server. (There may be a firewall involved.)

Not using port translation as such. Have IP nat inside on E0 and IP nat outside on ATM0.1.

Have a "ip nat inside source list 101 interface ATM0.1 overload" statement and access list 101 is "access-list 101 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any". IP address of server is 192.168.1.3 and E0 is 192.168.1.1.

Without an "inside source static tcp 192.168.1.3 1723 interface ATM0.1 1723" it doesn't map at all. With it, it does and if I do a telnet 1723 I get a connection of some sort to something, but then it times out.

Try adding another static “inside source static ip 192.168.1.3 1723 interface ATM0.1 47” in addition to the tcp 1723 you already have.

Hello,

Thanks for that. I'm on annual leave at present, but have emailed my counterpart to try that and see how it goes. Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Regards

Bob Krautner

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: