cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LEAP and none LEAP devices

mamoss
Level 3
Level 3

We have a customer with a large AP350 network that has LEAP enabled and won't permit none LEAP clients.

The problem is that they also want to use Spectralink Netlink phones. These phones (as far as I know) have no such capability and require the AP to allow association without all the security. The dilema is, to permit that, we have to effectively disable LEAP. Has anyone come up against the same problem? How have you resolved it? Many thanks, Mark.

3 Replies 3

tbanks
Level 1
Level 1

I have hit this issue with Symbol phones as well. You could look at using a PDA such as a Compaq iPAQ with the PCMCIA jacket, a Cisco Aironet NIC and IP Blue V!TGO softphone instead of the Symbol/Spectralink phone.

Because you are using a standard Aironet NIC you should be OK using LEAP/EAP.

Whne used with an earpiece the voice quality is as good as a Spectralink, and you can also use the iPAQ for Mail, calendar, etc as well.

mrost
Level 1
Level 1

Mark,you can run the AP in open (allowing Leap/and non-Leap) and SpectraLink allows MAC tables. This is a temp solution until Leap worked out. Second, you will find in most business cases that the SpectraLink phones fit the solution (durability, design and cost).

Thanks, Mike

James Strong
Level 1
Level 1

If you let one device on the network without LEAP, you might as well let all of the devices not use LEAP. I concur with the CE device running a voice application as the best solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card