cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switches with multiple Class C's??

phampton
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a switch that can be configured so one group of ports is assigned to one Class C (WAN) and a second group of ports is assigned to a different one (LAN)?

5 Replies 5

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

You can configure switches with Virtual LANs (VLANs). A VLAN is a broadcast domain. If you configure one group of ports on VLAN 1 and another on VLAN 2, you can assign IP addresses like:

192.168.1.0/24 to VLAN 1 and 192.168.2.0/24 to VLAN 2.

You will need a router to route between the two VLANs. A layer 3 switch will provide the router services as well.

Mick.

Thank you, Mick! Can you give me the model number of an example of a Layer 3 switch? I presently have a 2900XL.

Pat

Hi Pat,

I know that cisco 2621 can do the trick, but it has limited number of ports. You might need to use a switch/hub if you need more ports. Cisco 6509 is faster and provides up to 288 fast-ethernet ports, but it costs much more than cisco 2621 and a switch.

Hope my info help.

Good luck.

mbjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Pat,

The Cisco 2621 is a dual fast-ethernet port router not a switch , but you can use it to connect to your 2900 and route between VLANs. If you want to move up to a chassi based L2/L3 switch, the 6500 is obviously great but expensive, or you can go with a 4000 series or even an older 5500 with RSM module will work fine.

Good luck.

Thanks all! I have to go play with my switch now! My boss is about to buy me a new router so I better get the switch configured and online before the new toy gets here!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: