cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange MWI behaviour

Manuel Rouze
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,<br><br>I'm facing a problem with MWI (UNITY VM 2.4 / CCM 3.0.8)<br><br>When I leave a message to a user, his lamp goes on.<br>When he's listening to this message, the lamp goes off, but when on-hooking his phone, the lamp goes ON back again.<br><br>The message should be in 'read' mode so the lamp should stop, shouldn't it ?<br><br>If this user delete the message after reading it, the lamp goes OFF and stays OFF after on-hooking, which is the good behaviour.<br><br>Did I do something wrong ?<br>I would like to have the lamp goes off and stays off after reading my messages.<br><br>Thanks in advance <br><br>Manuel.<br><br>Manuel Rouze<br>Network Engineer<br>DEVOTEAM - IT consulting<br>manuel.rouze@devoteam.com<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

6 Replies 6

Not applicable

Any chance that you saved the message as new after listening to it (i.e. pressed * or hung up)? After you terminate your conversation Unity checks to see what state your voice mail messages in your inbox are in. They can be deleted (not in your inbox any more), read or unread. If there are any messages in an unread state the lamp is turned back on. You can check this by looking at your Outlook client real quick to see if there are any voice mail messages that are still shown as unread. This can be the case even if you've listened to them already if you elected to save them as new.

Unfortunately Exchange doesn't have the concept of "marked new but already heard". It'd either read or unread, that's about all we have to work with.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Thanks for the reply Jeff,
But there is still something I don't understand.

When I listen to my voice message on my IP-Phone, the lamp is going off and the message in Outlook becomes 'mark as read' (not bold any more).
This is the right behaviour.

After listening to them, I hang up (without answering to the Unity questions like keep, delete, etc...).

Immediatly, the message is shown as unread in Outlook and the lamp is going back on.

Why does the message not stay in 'read' state ?

Is it possible to have the message considered as 'read' after listening to it and hang up just after (this is what I do with my Meridian Mail).

What do you mean with 'you elected to save them as new' ?
Is it an Exchange parameter, or Unity ? Where ?

Thanks.

Manuel

Manuel Rouze
Network Engineer
DEVOTEAM - IT consulting
manuel.rouze@devoteam.com

By default if you hang up during a message without having taken action on that message, the assumed behavior is to save the message as unread. From the voice mail old school the issue here is you might have gotten disconnected or whatever and we don't want to shuffled that message into the read stack. It's just a voice mail no-no to do such things. However, we do have a way to change this default behavior if you are absolutely sure that's what you want to do. You can get the Registry Settings tool off my web page which supports this change or you can do it manually by checking out this thread:

http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=unityent&Number=4487&Search=true&Forum=unityent&Words=mark read&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1544

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Thanks a lot Jeff, that fixed my problem.

FYI, this behaviour (to switch off the lamp when the message has been completely read or not), was the default behaviour of our Nortel MeridianMail system (in France) and nobody here knew there was another one.

For my info, What's a voice-mail no-no ?

Cheers
Manuel.

a no-no is in the same family as a boo-boo, but less severe.

Those of us from the old school of voice mail (back from the 2 port DOS based days) just had drilled into us a set of rules about message handling over the phone and moving a message to a LIFO stack (read messages) from a FIFO stack (new messages) without the user explicitly choosing this action was not a nice thing to do. Folks getting cut off (i.e. driving into a tunnel on their cell phone) would have to wade through a ton of mail to get back to the message they were listening to and get that phone number they wanted and the like.

But Nortel is not the only system to do it this way so we made it configurable. Some day we'll get all these conversation options up on the SA (soon I hope).

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

There is a registry setting to toggle the behavior. Check out Jeff's "Unity's Registry Settings" app at www.answermonkey.net.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems