cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reverse NAT problem

edmonds_robert
Level 1
Level 1

OK, here's the deal. I want to be able to translate static external IP addresses to static internal IP addresses. The reason is, we have patrol cars with laptops that use cellular connections to the internet and Cisco's VPN client to connect to our internal network. That part works great, but they are receiving addresses dynamically from the VPN pool on my PIX 515. A newly purchased software package is going to require those systems to always have the same internal IP address, however, so the way we are doing it now will not work. Any suggestions would be welcome.

3 Replies 3

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

If you could get your Internet SP to always assign the same IP address to the remote laptop you could setup static translations in the PIX for each one. Other than that, talk to your new software vendor and have them write around it. Since you’re coming through a trusted “pipe” they should not have this restriction in their software.

Thomas,

I totally agree with you on the software issue. The way the vendor is assigning their menus is insane. However, the laptops do have static addresses assigned to them. I just can't figure out how to assign those addresses statically on the inside. I have a pool set up for them. What would the syntax look like to assign static internal addresses to the static external addresses?

orndorfffo
Level 1
Level 1

Static (inside,outside) [outside IP address] [inside IP address] netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: