cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-Relay interface design considerations

infowhiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone! I am wondering anyone knows of a good design document or a list of pros and cons available when deciding to use Point-to-Point or the default (multipoint inverse ARP) configuration on Frame Relay networks?

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

There is plenty of good documentation on www.cisco.com/tac showing how to implement this sort of thing. My personal experience has proven time and time again that the best solution is using sub-interfaces(Point-to-Point) this goes for small and large networks.

HTH

Frank

Thanks, I believe that's true aswell. The TAC site does give very good infomration on how to implement. Some bits and peices that I found were issues with OSPF abd broadcasts, EIGRP bandwidth controls, and general traffic shaping optimization issues linked to the scenario. However, I was undable to find a design considiration for a frame-relay network and the pros and cons of p-2-p vs multipoint links.

Try http://www.myhome.org/pg/frame.htm for Pros and Cons on Frame Relay, and some scenario's of point to point and multi-point....hope this helps.

Thanks for the pointer, I have been able to compile this so far:

Configuration Type Multi Point Point to Point

Pfizer/WL Standard NO YES

Efficient Bandwidth Division Per Destination NO YES

Monitoring of Each DLCI as an individual link NO YES

Notification of DLCI down per destination basis NO YES

Automatic Dial-on-demand for ISDN backup NO YES

Manage Each PVC’s characteristics separately (compression, encryption, bandwidth) NO YES

Exhibits Same Characteristics as a Physical Interface NO YES

Less overhead Inverse ARP Traffic for discovering DLCIs NO YES

Can Manage one link at a time without effecting other destinations NO YES

Use of IP Unnumbered allowed to conserve IP Address Space NO YES

Can use single subnet for each link YES NO

Easier Migration to new environment (M&As) YES NO

Sorry that was three columns with the courier font. 1) Configuration Type 2) MultiPoint 3) Point to Point and then I compared the features on the left with the availibility as yes/no on the right two columns.