Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

DHCP

Unanswered Question

My network spans accross 7floor with each of the floor representing a VLAN intervilan routing done witha cisco 2621. I have a 1 DHCP server and want to to assigning IP address to client with bootp enabled i believe this wont be a problem. The problem now is that since each VLAN is believed to be a seperate network with d/f network address. Is there a way DHCP can handle this or are there other way(not manual) to assign IP addresses to client station.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
MickPhelps Thu, 12/27/2001 - 10:13
User Badges:

Create a scope on your DHCP server for each VLAN.

Add the configuration IP HELPER xx.xx.xx.xx (IP address of DHCP server) on each VLAN interface of the 2600 that needs to have DHCP support but where there is no local DHCP server.

You can also clean it up a bit by using the NO IP FORWARD-PROTOCOL UDP xxx for each type of broadcast that is forwarded by default, but that you don't wish to forward. DHCP is forwarded by default.

check out http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fipras_r/1rfipadr.htm#xtocid18 for information on default protocols forwarded.

Also, be aware that this is broken in some releases of IOS (12.0(4 and 5)T) for instance. Make sure you do a bug check if it doesn't work properly.

Mick.

shen.lu Thu, 12/27/2001 - 12:50
User Badges:

If it is in NT/2000 environment, all client PC in the different VLAN as DHCP server must install "DHCP Agent".

Shen

Actions

This Discussion