cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I remove and reinstall VPN Client on Windows XP

dennis
Level 1
Level 1

I had a system that the install process hung while installing the VPN3000 Client (ver 3.5). Had to reboot system. Tried to re-install but could not because the software was already there. Tried to remove software from control panel but that did not work. Had no program group to start VPN dialer from. Went to Windows Explorer and ran the VPN dialer form there but got an error message that the ipsec subsystem was not running.

What I would like to do is remove all traces of the client so I can reinstall. I have removed as much as I can find (I had a list that worked in WIN 98) but when I try to install now the install completes very quickly and nothing is installed.

How do I get out of this mess (without re-installing XP)?

1 Reply 1

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

This is how you do it on 2000 so I hope it works for you as well. As always, before perfoming any action that involves registry edits be sure to make a back-up of the registry at a minimum and a system wide backup at an optimum:

Go to the add/remove programs and remove it from there if able and then....

Registry Hacks For Removal Of Cisco VPN Client Software

1) Start, Run

2) Regedit

3) HKey Local Machine

4) Software

5) Cisco Systems

6) VPN Client

7) Delete VPN Client Key

8) Reboot

9) Install updated Software

10) Pray

I would wait a day or so to see if any one else responds and we find out that I'm nowhere near correct on this for XP!!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: