Views
Helpful
Replies

Process Switching

karl.jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

If I apply access-lists to interfaces on a 3600 router, am I essentially turning off fast switching off for those interfaces as all packets have to be checked for matches or do access-list make no difference at all to fast switching. Also, how does priority queuing affect fast switching as it rearranges the order of packets.

Any advice appreciated

Karl Jones

3 Replies 3

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Karl,

Check out this link on switching. You want to look at netflow for combining access lists and maintaining some fast switching functionality:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/switch_r/xrswcmd.htm#xtocid46458

I hope someone else can answer the part of your question about priority queuing. I think that switching decisions and queuing decisions are apples and oranges but I can't say for sure.

Thanks Scott,

I will check out that link,

Happy New Year

n.moss
Level 1
Level 1

If im right, it doesn't affect fast switching at all. I know ACLs cannot be used with CEF switching unless in conjunction with a policy. The good thing is it would not instantly divert to process switching, it would drop to each previous switching successor in terms of speed. Not all packets would be process-switched anyway because the "stream characteristics", e.g. src/dest/port, etc. would be cached preventing the need for every packet from each stream being compared to the ACL.

Hope this helps,

Neil Moss.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: