cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing Unity 3.0

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Getting error message "Exchange server" not a member of the domain. The server it is on is the PDC and have ran forestprep,domainprep and ADschema. <br>Any help appreciated<br><br>

12 Replies 12

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Are you installing with an account other than the administrator account? Kind of sounds like a permissions thing. Is this the exact error you are seeing on the screen? I looked in our XML files and I don't think we would kick out that exact error...

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Not applicable

I am using the administrator account on the PDC and the error that came back is :The Exchange Domain Servers group could not be found in the following domain:\\STLCCM02 (which is my servers name). Thanks in advance for any help.

OK. Do you see the Exchange Domain Server group in AD Users and Computers?

Also, what version of Unity?

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Edited by kechambe on 1/4/02 04:21 PM.

Not applicable

Version 3.0.2 and I do see the group in active directory. I have added the administrator to the group and it to the administrator group.

The server should be a member of that group. Is it?

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

I'm having exactly the same problem on a 3.0.2 VM install.

Same scenario, using administrator account for install throughout.

Rights for logon as service and act as part of os set.

The box itself is a member of the Exchange Domain Servers Group.

Why does the error message say "The Exchange Domain Servers group could not be found in the following domain:" but then references the boxes netbios name (\\UNITY) ?

I am not sure why you would get that error. Check and make sure you have all of the correct rights per this doc:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity30/inst/inst302/inst_020.htm#xtocid938938

You might also try running the SysCheck utility on Unity disk 1 and seeing which errors you get.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Not got access to the box right now but can confirm that the common and domain tests (which covers the platform rights stuff?) all pass on syscheck.

As far as I understand the install guide description, all the permisions are set.

Perhaps I can ask the question from another direction. If I use the administrator account from the very start of the install (i.e. W2K) all through the apps install process for SQL2K and ES2K etc.. what permisions would you expect to have to change? As far as I can see they're all set as required by default.

The only place the install does not reflect the doco is the SQL2K install. The doco refers to a screen asking to set up the SA account but this does not appear. Would have thought this is an error in the doco bearing in mind it's SQL2K and the authentication method that's been selected.

rgds,
Chris

I am also getting the same error message "The Exchange Domain Servers group could not be found in the following domain: \\unity_testlab.UnityLab"

I can't find the Exchange Domain Server group on my Unity server which is a Windows 2000 PDC. I have a seperate server for Exchange 2000 (a secondary domain controller).

However, on the Exchange 2000 server I can see the Exchange Domain Servers group. So I added the Unity domain contoller to that Exchange Domain servers group on the Exchange 2000 server. But I do not see the Exchange Domain Servers group on the Unity server!! Is this my problem??

I ran Permissions Wizzard on my Administrator account. Then I ran SysCheck & it told me that it did not find the Exchange Domain servers group on my Unity server. SysyCheck told me to make sure the local system is a member of the Exchange Domain Servers group. But how can I do this if the group doesn't appear on my Unity server, just on my Exchange server?

Thank you for your help in advance,

Kimberly

Not applicable

that error message usually means you have the Unity box setup to get an IP address via DHCP and there is no DHCP server around or there is a DNS issue at play on your network...

the error message is completely off the wall, it has nothing to do with the Exchange servers group. The clue that there's a DNS/IP issue is that it returns your server name of the Unity box back as a domain in that first error message.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Hi Jeff,

Well I know that both of my Servers, my Unity PDC & My Exchange domain controller server both have static IP addresses. Neither server is set for DHCP.

I may have a DNS issue but I do not know what to look for to make sure DNS is working OK??

I can ping both server names and get their IP addresses back.

I followed the installation guide to the note except that I made the Unity server a PDC & installed an exchange server on a seperate box.

So even though the directions tell me under Active Directory Users & computers to add the Unity server to Exchange Domain Servers group and this group is nowhere to be found on the Unity server I shouldn't worry??

Thank you for your quick response,

Kimberly

Not applicable

I get this error "The exchange domain servers group could not be found in the following domain:" but then references the boxes netbios name (\\UNITY)? I have used the Administrator account from the start not varying in any way.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: