cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN to ISDN, w/o NT1 for Training/Testing

Barry.Mason
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day! Can anyone tell me if it is possible, or if you have connected two router's S/T ports with a crossover cable (without using the high voltage connections)? This would be for testing/labs.

For example, connecting 2-2504s using a Cat-5 crossover cable. The cable would just be using pins 3,4,5&6 for transfer of data.

I would appreciate any information anyone could supply.

Thank you for your time.

5 Replies 5

rokibbe
Level 1
Level 1

No, it's not possible. Unlike a T1 back-to-back config where you can simply use HDLC keepalives to provide your layer 2 connectivity, ISDN requires signalling from the switch to establish that the circuit is indeed up. There's a lot more to it than just voltage and circuits being complete, as DEBUG ISDN Q921 and DEBUG ISDN Q931 will show.

Thank you for your time and info. Barry

Rollin:

Hello! Thank you for responding to my question. You mentioned a T1 back-to-back configuration. I am still researching this, but if you don't mind helping once more, can I use a crossover cable between 2 NT1 units? Conversely, could you point me in a direction for more info?

Thank you again for your time.

Best Regards,

Barry Mason, CCNA

jduffek
Level 1
Level 1

No this is not possible on the 2500 series. We do have some products that support network side bri but I am not sure if you can make calls from one to another if they are directly connected.

Josh

Thank you for your time and info. Barry.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: