cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UM vs VM 3.1(2)

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Sorry for the sales/mktg question, but I'm not getting an answer from my other resources.<br><br>It appears that it will be best to install 3.1x (in most cases moving forward) with the message store in the customer Exchange Site in a VM or UM implementation. I'm assuming the customers have an ES 5.5/2000 backup plan and that we'll use the new DRT for 3.1x so the logical message store is the existing ES.<br><br>The feature difference in VM and UM start to blur for me once VM uses the client's home server in the site for message store, is there a doc (other than mktg slides) that layout where the differences are and how the Unity Key or other mechanisms impact the differences?<br><br><br><br>

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

Don't worry... we play nice with sales folks, too.

The short story is voice mail only means you can only access your voice mail messages over the phone. No TTS of email, no VMO plug in for Outlook (gives you the ability to send voice mail from the desktop and play/record messages using your phone in Outlook).

When you get a UM license the key comes programmed with text to speech licenses (so you can access email and have it read to you and/or fax it if you have fax licenses as well) and VMO licenses that so you can install voice mail forms in Outlook at the desktop.

The actual inbox where the messages are stores really doesn't matter. You can go ahead and use voice mail only with an existing Exchange mail user account if you want, they just don't get the UM features. Messages are always stored in Exchange regardless. As such if the customer already has an Exchange network, you should use it no matter what configuration they want to install in. Makes it easier to migrate from VM to UM later if they choose to do so (this happens a lot).

The DRT is really not intended as a fully featured backup plan. It doesn't include Exchange data (i.e. messages), it's only a Unity specific information backup and restore mechanism. You'll still want to look into a good tape backup system (or consider using the one built into Win2K which is entirely adequate for small systems).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)