Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Unity 3.0 Dies

Unanswered Question
Jan 27th, 2002
User Badges:

Whe have had a number of occasions when Unity V3.0(2) has just died. A reboot cures the problem. In the event log are lots of AV* and Doh services errors. Also MSDE also reports that it is optimised for 8 concurrent queries and it has been exceeded by 241 queries!. We only have 120 users and 12 connectors to call manager. any ideas?<br> <br><br>

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
kechambe Sun, 01/27/2002 - 05:06
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Sounds like you might be experiencing defect CSCdv04296. Symptoms include:
- AvCsMgr process is still running.
- Cisco Unity System Administration pages are not accessible.
- Subscribers may receive silence after entering their passwords while logging on to their mailboxes by using the telephone user interface (TUI).
- Callers may experience Ring-No-Answer when calling Cisco Unity.
- AvRdbSvr_MC errors in the application log.

It's actually a defect (BUG#: 356428) in Microsoft SQL 2000/MSDE server. Microsoft has compiled a patch for it and Cisco has an updated AvRdbSvr.dll for Unity that that goes along with it. You will need to contact TAC to get a fix if this is indeed what you are experiencing. More information can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315395

You could be seeing CSCdw22615 instead of CSCdv04296 if you have Win9x/ME clients running any application that uses TRaP. These include ViewMail, Media Master, and AA. The symptoms are much like CSCdv04296, but without events in the application event log. This is another Microsoft defect and is related to a bug in the Windows 9x/ME's RPC layer. This affects Cisco Unity because Unity communicates with the Windows 9x/ME clients during TRaP (Telephony Record and Playback) calls.

Currently, the only workaround is to disable TRaP access for all subscribers that use Windows 9x/ME as their operating system. If most of the subscribers use Windows 9x/ME, you can disable TRaP system wide with this workaround:

1. Run dcomcnfg from Start->Run on the Cisco Unity server.
2. If any warnings pop up, click yes (more than one may pop up).
3. On the "Default Properties" page, uncheck "Enable Distributed COM on this computer".
4. Reboot the Cisco Unity server.

I strongly suggest contacting TAC on this one to get this sorted out. Unity crashing is not a good thing. :-(

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Actions

This Discussion