cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

abnormal traffic !!

ramesh.krishnan
Level 1
Level 1

i have a cisco 7204 running bgp ver 4 with an ISP and an igp session with my internal network. I have default uplink and downlink thru my ISP. at times i can observe the upload traffic is going to 1.9mb..where as my link is just 2mb.so the latency is really affected. but then i change my uplink to my other igp neighbour. then the latency all is ok. then i put an uplink rate-limt and tried uplinking thru the ISP. it worked fine with normal latencies. but the moment i remove the rate-limit..the traffic pumps up..any ideas ??

thanks,

Ramesh

5 Replies 5

ashok_boin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Ramesh,

You need to manually observe from which your IGP network that abnormal data is pumping and then after still further to system level. I have observed for one of my customer, such abnormal data due to "Ping of Death". First close all servers and see the Uploading traffic. If it's normal, then some scripts are running on your internal servers like "Ping of Death" causing your UPLink choked up.

If any problems, let me know...

Regards...

--Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok

ashok_boin
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

And also let me know why are you using BGP eventhough you are having a Single provider? If you want to get inbound traffic, then tell your ISP to advertise your networks, that's all. It's an additional overhead on your router to run BGP process and storing all routes those are having SINGLE and DEFAULT destination i.e your ISP.

Regards...

--Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok

hi ashok,

thanks for the help. I had analysed the data traffic at packet levfel. as i had around 10 server colocations, i had to see on to their upload trafic, which i found on of them having a abnormal traffic and erros in the interface. when i had shut down the interface, all was OK.

Yes i have to advertise networks thru my BGP only. im advertising various networks at various gateway points of mine, following certain routing policies. its not a single network im advertising. so making my ISP advertise my network is out of question.

Anyway, thanks for your help again !!

Thanks,

Ramesh

s.m
Level 1
Level 1

ya .i have lots of explanations for my ZPTO ummmmmiiiiiiaaa.......;)...

u dodo...u cant even analyse this for these simple trouble of ours......

i suggest you opt for an additional serivces and CIR from your upstream provider and tell nangu and angu to pay for it......

dumbo only u r

guess who???????

s.m
Level 1
Level 1

now i exactly know where u stand......

see see this Ashok pal of ours from stpi is telling so well how to manage your network advertisement and bgp....u foooooooooooooooooool

ummmmiiia

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco