cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Magazine Discussion: Over the Hurdles

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

What obstacles must your organization surmount in order to migrate to a converged IP network? The Packet Magazine article titled “Over the Hurdles” offers insight into overcoming the technical, migratory and business barriers to running data, voice and video over packet networks. Read the article at the link below, and then discuss the issues of convergence with other networking professionals. What are your biggest challenges to moving toward a full-scale VoIP deployment?

If you already have a converged network, can you share any insight with the community regarding issues you faced? How did you overcome those issues?

Packet Magazine

First Quarter 2002

Over the Hurdles

(http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/784/packet/jan02/p35-cover.html)

7 Replies 7

bbaley
Level 3
Level 3

One of our clients has abut 100 seats and is interested in migrating to a converged network. They want me to do some research to find out if it's worth while doing. Has anyone converged a network that size? Any feedback is appreciated.

Bill

We have a number of customers that have deployed VoIP with QoS in their networks. They say "charity begins at home" - and Cisco IT, our internal networking folks - have deployed IP Phones and are in the initial stages of implementing IP Video conferencing using QoS (DiffServ and IntServ)

jbohla
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone define in layman's terms what MPLS and RSVP are? I'm trying to explain this to people with no computer knowledge.

TIA

MPLS stands for MultiProtocol Label Switching. Its is an encapsulation method that has been widely accepted by Service Providers across the world. MPLS essentially combines the benefits of a connection-oriented technology like ATM and the connection-less nature of IP. MPLS provides services like L3 VPNs (rfc2547 - based on BGP), Traffic Engineering (based on RSVP signalling for explicit bandwidth control) and QoS (based on the 3 bit EXP field located in the MPLS Label header)

RSVP stands for Resource reSerVation Protocol (rfc2205) which reserves resources for "strict" bandwidth sensitive applications like Voice and Video. RSVP QoS refers to the ability of Voice/Video applications to reserve bandwidth before data can be transmitted. It provides for a robust signalled mechanism that allows for admission control. RSVP Traffic Engineering is used in an MPLS environment to create POP to POP "trunks" as well as be used in failure conditions using functionality like Fast ReRoute for Link failures.

prasanthpk
Level 1
Level 1

i am from india where there are some restrictions to merge the existing ip network to pstn world

how can i help one of my customer who wants to have a ip telephony connections to their clients in usa and europe.in this scenario what solution can i give to them

There are a number of options to address your requirement. While I dont know the details, let me attempt to provide you a high level direction.

If you are unable to merge IP Networks to PSTN due to government regulations, then you have to depend solely upon an IP Network. To do so - you would need to implement QoS in your network. Typically this is done using a combination of DiffServ and IntServ. You would start with identifying various traffic types.

For voice, you will need to use the LLQ (Low Latency Queue) and RSVP for admission control. Policing is recommended as you do not want to have one "rogue" flow disturb other well behaved flows. This should be done as close to the sender as possible.

For data traffic, which is mission critical like traffic from ERP applications (SAP, Peoplesoft, etc.) you would want to minimize packet loss. Use a combination of Policing, Shaping and Dropping to achieve the result.

Finally, have a default class called "Best Effort" to handle all other traffic.

It is important to note that QoS is effective during congestion - most of the QoS mechanisms are "dormant" otherwise.

The "voice" class is used to carry IP Telephony connections.

ssoberlik
Level 4
Level 4

If you have implemented a converged network or are in the process of doing so, can you describe how you justified this investment? Has anyone used the Cisco Converged Network Investment Calculator to prove their case? Any help would be appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: