cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 compared to 5500

daniel.bowen
Level 1
Level 1

Currently I have a Catalyst 5500 with integrated RSM. I am looking to upgrade to a 6500 but am unsure of the terminology of the ruting module on the 6500. Would I require, a Supervisor Engine, plus an MSFC and an MSM? If so, are these ll seperate line cards of contained on the same card. I am also looking to introduce redundant Sups and routing modules, can anyone tell me what slots on a 6513 they take up?

Thanks for your help

Daniel,

6 Replies 6

aadeoba
Level 1
Level 1

The Catalyst 6513 switch chassis has 13 slots. Slot 1 is reserved for the supervisor engine, which provides switching, local and remote management, and multiple gigabit uplink interfaces.

Note The Catalyst 6513 switch requires a Supervisor Engine 2.

Slot 2 can contain an additional Supervisor Engine 2, which can act as a backup if the first supervisor engine fails. If a redundant supervisor engine is not required, slot 2 is available for a switching module.

The Catalyst 6509 switches support the following:

A supervisor engine with two Gigabit Ethernet uplink ports and an optional redundant supervisor engine

Note The uplink ports are fully functional on the redundant supervisor engine in standby mode.

Both supervisor engines in a single chassis must be completely identical. You can configure the redundant supervisor engines in a Catalyst 6000 family switch in one of three configurations:

Two supervisor engines, each with no MSFC and no PFC

Two supervisor engines, each configured with a PFC daughter card

Two supervisor engines, each configured with both an MSFC and a PFC daughter card

The above can apply to a 6509 or 6513. I got this from the below:

Check for full information from

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/6000hw/inst_aug/01over.htm#27539

Cheers

Where does the MSM come in to play. Is the MSFC an onboard equivalant of the MSM?

Thanks very much for your help

Daniel,

DALE FRANCIS
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Daniel,

The 6500 takes a daugther card on the supervisor module, this is the MSFC. You will not be required to get the MSM and as far as i know they are End of Sale/Life.

So as discussed the MSFC is incorporated on the Sup Module, so you will need one in Slot 1 of any 6500 Chassis. The redundant one would plug into slot 2.

If redundancy is the way you want go with the 6500, i would recommend looking at SRM (Single Router Mode), this will greatly simplify your config process when redundancy is configured. If you did not go SRM, then you would have to config HSRP between the two MSFC's or at least place the redundant one in ROMMON mode.

SRM Redundancy is an alternative to having both Multilayer Switch Feature Cards in a chassis active at the same time. SRM requires MSFC IOS Release 12.1(8a)E2.

Follow this link for some more Info http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/cc/pd/si/casi/ca6000/tech/hafc6_wp.htm

Regards

Dale

What I was thinking to do, was to use both MSFC's and load balance between the two. Do you not think this is the way to go? Reason behind my thinking, is that on our current Cat5500 with RSM< the RSM has constanlty been overburdened and I wanted to protect against that with dual MSFC's?

Is load balancing possible with the MSFC being located on a REDUNDANT Supervisor, or would the Supervisor need to be active for the MSFC to work?

Thanks very much

Daniel,

Daniel,

Conceptually they are routers on a stick, so yes you would be able to load balance between the two within the same chassis. I assume you would attrack diverse (load balanced) traffic via M-HSRP.

If all things are equal and config registers not changed then you have two routers inside a 6500 chassis.

This might help. :)

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)# interface vlan10

Router(config-if)# standby 10 ip 172.20.100.10

Router(config-if)# standby 10 priority 110

Router(config-if)# standby 10 preempt

Router(config-if)# standby 10 timers 5 15

Router(config-if)# interface vlan21

Router(config-if)# standby 21 ip 192.20.100.21

Router(config-if)# standby 21 priority 109

Router(config-if)# standby 21 preempt

Router(config-if)# standby 21 timers 5 15

Router(config-if)# ^Z

Router# ^C^C^C

Console> (enable) switch console 16

Trying Router-16...

Connected to Router-16.

Type ^C^C^C to switch back...

Router# configure terminal

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)# interface vlan10

Router(config-if)# standby 10 ip 172.20.100.10

Router(config-if)# standby 10 priority 109

Router(config-if)# standby 10 preempt

Router(config-if)# standby 10 timers 5 15

Router(config-if)# interface vlan21

Router(config-if)# standby 21 ip 192.20.100.21

Router(config-if)# standby 21 priority 110

Router(config-if)# standby 21 preempt

Router(config-if)# standby 21 timers 5 15

Router(config-if)# ^Z

Router# ^C^C^C

Regards

Dale

Thanks again Dale,

Daniel,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: