cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Handler Transfers

josegcantuiii
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a call coming into my Call Manager through a CTI route point (say 8500) that points to unity (4937). <br><br>In unity this DN points to a call handler. This call handler has a schedule assigned to it to check if the site is open or closed. <br><br>If the site is open its job is to ring and extension we specify (under Call Handler > Call Transfer > Standard > Transfer Incoming Calls) to another CTI route point in Call Manager (say 8515) that sends all calls to dn 1. <br><br>A second call handler is also setup (8501) that checks the day and then points to another cti route point in call mgr dn 8516 that sends all calls to dn 2.<br><br>These dn's 8515,8516,1,2 aren't in unity. The are set in unity under the last option "Yes, ring a subscriber at this extension: 8515." This is unsupervised and released back to the switch (call mgr)<br><br>The call mgr then sends the call to dn 1. <br><br>This doesn't work. When i check unity call viewer its using the right number and ringing the 8515 which points to dn 1. <br>DN 1 has a mailbox of 2245.<br><br>When i call the phone number i am going straight to the mailbox of 2245 vs. my phone ringing on dn 1.<br><br>Its like unity is skipping the transfer to call mgr and sending straight to the vm.<br><br>Any ideas?<br><br><br><br><br><br>Northrop Grumann<br>Jose Cantu - CCNP,CCNA,CCDA,MCP,A+,Net+<br>Phone: 512-633-5396<br>Email: jose.cantu@josecantu.com

10 Replies 10

Not applicable

Not sure I have a firm handle on the call flow here but are the calls FORWARDING into Unity from those extensions? If so, Unity will definitely skip trying the transfer rules and head right for the greeting rule instead. If we didn't do this we could get caught in a nasty loop where we dialed an extension that forwarded back to us and we then dialed the extension again etc...

If that's the case you want to take it one leve of redirection out. Your call handler for 8515, for instance, should have a blank greeting for it's day greeting and have an after greeting action of "attemp transfer for" the call handler or subscriber you want to ring the phone for. When the call forwards, the handler will get the call, proceed to the greeting rule, process the greeting rule and hand the call to the next call handler or subscriber which will attemp the transfer according to it's transfer rules.

If this isn't the call flow you meant, let me know where I lost my way and we'll try again.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Yes i lost you a bit.
So 8515 is a cti route point in the call manager. It says to forward all calls to dn 1. (whose mailbox if not answered is 2245)

Whats happening is it just goes straight to that mailbox. I went ahead and checked my greeting rules on those call handlers and like we stated there is a day rule (standard) under Call Transfer and Greetings that says to attempt transfer for 8515 and for Luke General Delivery respectively. (unsupervised and release to switch for both)

I guess my problem from your reply is it does proceed to greatings and tries to ring 2245. I need it to not go to Greetings from Call Transfer. I need it to read the standard Transfer rule that says
Transfer incoming calls?
Yes, ring a subscriber at this extension: 8515

As it stands your right under Greeting it looks like:
Greeting: Standard
Source: Blank
After Greeting: Attempt transfer for Luke General Delivery (2245)

Is it possible to force it to call transfer to 8515 from the Call Transfer Rule?

Northrop Grumann
Jose Cantu - CCNP,CCNA,CCDA,MCP,A+,Net+
Phone: 512-633-5396
Email: jose.cantu@josecantu.com

Well... I'm afraid you still have me lost. I grabbed a couple folks and we looked your posts over and we can't make heads or tails of exactly what you're trying to do and where you're tripping up.

Can you walk through exactly what you want to happen in real basic terms? you're throwing around extension and DN and route points in various ways that make it really difficult to determine the desired call path you're looking for. Keep it simple for us slow folks:

User calls #1234. It forwards RNA/BUSY (or is this a direct call?) into Unity. Unity gets forwarding #1234 and sends to call handler with ID #1234. You want X, Y and Z to happen at that point.

I'm sure we can make this work we just can't figure out what's happening and what you want to happen.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

I understand i get confused myself.

Okay

Calling in from the PSTN you hit a router fxo port. The router plars the number to dn 8507. 8507 routes to dn 4937 which is unity. 8507 is a call handler in unity.

Unity checks the schedule assigned to that call handler for open or closed.

Unity looks at the Call Transfer setting of the call handler (8507)? All rules except Standard and Closed are disabled. Standard Call Transfer rule says to Dial this extension 8515 and release the call to the switch. Closed Call Transfer rule says to go to the greeting for this call handler.

A second caller from the PSTN you hit a router fxo port. The router plars the number to dn 85511. 85511 routes to dn 4937 which is unity. 8511 is a call handler in unity.

Unity checks the schedule assigned to that call handler for open or closed.

Unity looks at the Call Transfer setting of the call handler (8511)? All rules except Standard and Closed are disabled. Standard Call Transfer rule says to Dial this extension 8516 and release the call to the switch. Closed Call Transfer rule says to go to the greeting for this call handler.

This is the basic flow... The problem is on call handlers 8515 and 8516 it does not ring the extension rather than goes straight to the voice mailbox of those dn's.

I believe when the office is open unity is checking the active schedule then skipping the call transfer rule and going to the greetings rule.

This rule says to attempt a transfer for 2245. So when i get voice mail prompt to leave a message i am assuming unity is not using the call transfer rule?

Does this make sense? If not i will open a TAC case and then call you or whomever i get and discuss it. Its alot easeir to talk it than write it, if you know what i mean...Thanks,

Northrop Grumann

Ok... one more piece of information I need here. When the calls are hitting the Unity server in these cases, are they considered forwarded calls? So if you look at the call viewer when the call comes in you see that it's a forwarded call from 8507 or 8511? If so, Unity is doing exactly what it should here... it will force the skip of the transfer rule when a call comes in forwarded like that. As I mentioned in my earlier post, it has to do this to avoid potentially disasterous looping calls. If that's the case, you are right... it's skipping the transfer rule as it's supposed to.

To get around this you need to create another call handler (no ID is necessary on this guy). Call it "route handler A" here. For 8507, have the day greeting set to blank and to have an after greeting action of "attempt transfer for route handler A". On the route handler A, have an alternate transfer rule enabled that rings 8516 and set it to release transfer. For the 8507's night greeting, have it recorded and have the after greeting action set to "take message" or whatever it is you want to have it do after hours.

So when the call forwards into Unity from 8507, we process the greeting rules... if it's day the call is immediately handed to the route handler A and it processes the transfer rules and rings 8516.

Do something similiar for 8511.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Pardon the language but your a gosh dam greek genius! All right mr wizard, one more question.

So the rule of thumb is that if a call is forwarded into unity it plays the greeting of that DN. If its transferred to a DN it follows the transfer rule, correct? Thanks SOOOO much... I can't thank you enough! Thats great to know, bad part is it will take one call handler and one route handler per call.... which brings me to my next point.

How many call handlers can unity handle? For instance i will have 120 sites on unity w/500 mailboxes and over 960 Call handlers. (8*120) Is there a limit? Thanks again!

Northrop Grumann

Actually, Eric had a really good point. You can have the after greeting action for call handler 8507 to “attempt transfer for" call handler 8507 (i.e. loop it back to itself). This didn't used to work back in the old days because the little flag in the call object that indicated to Unity to skip the transfer rule on a forwarded call didn't used to get cleared until you actually left the call handler. That shouldn't be the case any longer (I'll try this out in a few minutes). This would simplify your life quite a bit and means you don't have to create all those extra handlers...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

No limit on call handlers (no practical limit anyway). I've created over 10,000 handlers with the Bulk Handler Create tool as a test and it handled it no problem (took a while to create but it worked fine). All these are stored in SQL these days and SQL is pretty robust.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

I am getting an invalid link error when i try and link the route handler A to the call handler A.

So basicly when an incoming call comes in its saying it doesn't understand that entry. When i delete and recreate the route handler A and then re enter it in the call handler a it says its an invalid link?

I have tried deleting all the sites call handlers and route handlers and starting from scratch w/differ names and it still does that.. need some help. thanks

Northrop Grumann

I'm unsure what you're doing... if you delete a handler, it'll automatically break any links to it (the links are done via the directory ID which is unqiue for each and every handler regardless of it's name or ID).

I sat down and strung together 15 call handlers in a row and tried this... works like a champ.

Unsure where you're tripping up from your description. If you've got WTS access to that box I can pop in and take a look at what you've got real quick...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: