cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Merging exchange

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Currently I have a standalone voicemail not connected to the network running Unity 3.1 W2K/Exchange 2000. I now want Unity to join a W2K domain with Exchange 2000 and configure unified messaging so that users get voicemail to the desktop. What do I have to do so that Unity point to the users home exchange domain? Do I have to remove active directory from Unity?<br><br>

3 Replies 3

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

You basically will need to reinstall. You can leverage the DiRT tool found out on the answermonkey.net site. You may need to buy a POV to UM upgrade license if you didn't originally order UM.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

If I use the DIRT tool I assume it will import back all my original subscribers. However if I set up Unified Messaging wouldn't I need to import the subscribers from their current home Exchange?

Not applicable

couple things here...

During the restore users are searched for and bound do in your directory (i.e. DiRT does not blindly create new accounts all over the place). It'll first search by directory ID, then by RDN then by alias (mail nickname). Only if all of those searches in your directory fail, then it'll create a new account for that user.

In your case if your aliases happen to match up you're golden, this will work nicely for you. For whatever reason I have yet to see a site use the same alias naming convention for their stand alone voice mail as they do for their corporate email... I'm unsure why this is, just one of those facts of the universe.

To help address this the Customer Applications Team is working on a "move subscriber data" tool that's in QA testing at the moment. It can be used to move all subscriber data off one mail account (55 or 2000) onto another mail account. Using this mechanism the accounts that were created by DiRT during restore (assuming the aliases don't match up) can be moved onto the correct corporate email account using the Move Subscriber Data tool.

Kind of an annoying two step process but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Also, the Move Subscriber Data tool does NOT move messages... just Unity subscriber data. Moving messages is up to you.

I expect to have the MSD tool available on AnswerMonkey in the next couple of weeks and we'll then start working on TAC support for it after that.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: