cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3548

adagost
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst 3548 switch. I am all of a sudden having weird probem. The switch lights went out on all the connections and no one plugged into it could access the network. Some of the ports that had PCs in them did not show a light on the switch but did show as up when I went into the switch.

Other ports on the switch were displayed a light when there was nothing plugged into them.

I am not able to Telnet to the switch. I can hypertermial it directly connected. When I do connect via hypertermianl I am not able to ping any other devices connected to the switch. I ave reset the switch and turned it off and on. It powers up OK but I can only hyperterminal into it and no other communication appears to transfer across it.

It is not making any weird noise. I checked the config file and it is OK.

Does this sound like a problem with the hardware????? I do not want to waste too much time troubleshooting if I am going to have to replace the switch.

Please help.

Thank you very much.

4 Replies 4

drogell
Level 1
Level 1

I had a customer that had a few 3548 switches he just installed and after installation everything worked. The next morning one of the switches was dead in the water had to replace it. There might be a hardware problem with some of the switches.

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

Please do the command "show post" and see if the ports have failed POST. If it did, it is bad hardware. If not, ths may need some addtional troubleshooting and hence open a TAC case.

Thank you. When I typed show post I got the response PASSED.

Any other ideas? How Can I reset the switch back to factory defaults?

This switch has been working great for over two years.

Thank you

Do a 'wr erase' and delete 'vlan.dat' file from flash. Reload.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: