cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link Speed VS link Link capacity

joaquimlopes
Level 1
Level 1

This is just a theoretical case, I have two ppp links, one of 2Mbps,one of 512 Kbps, in the link of 2 Mbps I now that my usage will be in top usage 512 Kbps, this value is only achieved once a month, do I have any advantage of having the 2 Mbps link.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

Probably not, but bandwidth isn't the only measure of a link. There is also an issue with clock rate, and how this effects the latency across the link. Now, realistically, I doubt the time it takes to clock the packet out onto the wire (the serialization delay is what this is called) is really that much different here, but it could have some impact. Note that the serialization delay depends on the clocking, not the bandwidth.

So, a 2mb link with a full 2mb bandwidth will clock the same as a 2MB link with a 513K committed access rate, if that helps to understand how this workd better.

Russ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: