cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade to UM

bwelch
Level 1
Level 1

We're currently planning to upgrade a 3.13c VM system to UM. The current system uses a separate W2000 Domain Controller but Exchange 2000 is installed on the VM box. We just switched our email from Lotus to Exchange 2000 and now we want UM, but we don't want to lose old VM messages. As part of this process, we would like to home all users "off box" on the new Exchange server. I'm wondering what the best approach would be. Has anyone successfully completed an upgrade/migration such as this and if so, what was the process?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>

3 Replies 3

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

This isn't a quick cut due to the lack of flexibility in some of the Microsoft components.

Your safest bet is to use a combination of a reinstall and the DiRT tool.

http://www.answermonkey.net/App_DisasterRecoveryTools.htm

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems

I don't quite understand why I need to reinstall Unity. If the new Exchange server is in the same site, can't I just move the mailboxes to the new Exchange server and then run the config utility and point Unity to the new server?

It sounds like I'd be losing saved messages if I took the database export/reinstall approach. Is that true?

Oh OK. I kinda miss read your first post and thought you have 2 different forests. You don’t need to run Configuration Setup again. You can move to user mailboxes the Unity_server name mailbox to the new Exchange server. Unity will automatically find the moved user mailboxes but you need to make a few registry changes to point Unity to the other Exchange server.

You need to change:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Active Voice\Doh\1.0\Mail Server Name
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE \Active Voice\MalEx\1.0\ServerName

After the changes and all is working you can uninstall Exchange 2000 from the Unity server.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: