Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

350 Series Bridges Incompatible with 340 Series Bridges?

Unanswered Question

We have been using Cisco Aironet 340 series bridges for quite some time now, with minimal problems (building-to-building applications). Recently, we purchased our first 350 series bridge, and started using it a a remote site and it associated back to our root bridge (340) just fine and seemed to work. But, ever since we did that, we have been having weird periodic network problems within our wireless network, that causes everything to slow WAY down. The signals all stay the same however. I was looking today at updating the firmware on the 350 bridge, and was looking in the release notes for firmware version 11.21, and I spotted this paragraph:

--------begin quote---------

CISCO AIRONET 350 SERIES BRIDGES IMCOMPATIBLE WITH 340 SERIES BRIDGES

Cisco Aironet 340 and 350 Series Bridges can be connected to the same LAN segments, but they cannot communicate wirelessly. Although you can disable STP on non-root 350 series bridges, 350 and 340 series bridges are not designed to interoperate. If you use both 340 and 350 series bridges on your network, make sure the 340 series bridges have radio bridge links only to other 340 series bridges, and that 350 series bridges have radio bridge links only to other 350 series bridges.

----------end quote-------------

This is the first I have heard anything about this, and am a bit worried. I have a lot of 340 bridges in service, and will need to add more bridges in the future. Will I have to replace all of my 340's with 350's in order for everything to continue to run smoothly? Has anybody else heard anything about this, or had similar problems? Thanks.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
s-doyle Tue, 06/11/2002 - 06:26
User Badges:

Yes, you’ll need to migrate your 340’s to 350’s going forward.

tepatel Wed, 06/12/2002 - 15:25
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

What you have heard/read is correct..340 and 350 have different STP algoritham..So do not mix/associate the 340 with 350..You need to use 340 to 340 and 350 to 350..Thx..Tejal

Actions

This Discussion