cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

our campus can support how many vode users with catalyst6006 core switch

meng
Level 1
Level 1

in our campus, we use catalyst 6006 as core switch.

there are four 1000BaseLX and two 1000BaseSX from catalyst6006 to our six main buildings.

and we have a vod server with 4 cahnnel Ultra 160 SCSI RAID(Adaptec SCSI RAID 5400S) which connect to catalyst 6006 with Gbits NIC.

the video streaming bit rate is 100kbps per request user.

consider TCP/IP protocol overhead, netwok collision,..etc.

our campus can support how many vode users??

3 Replies 3

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 6000 supports 32 GBPS across the bus. As long as you are not hitting that limitation you can easily support a large number of users. The limitation will actually be the 4 channel SCSI server.

As I mentioned in the previous post, the 4 channel SCSI server is connected to the 6006 with one Gbps NIC. Thus, the bandwidth limitation of the vod system is 1 Gbps(4 channel SCSI can support 4 X 320Mbytes/sec). Then the vod system can 1 Gbps/100kbps = 1000 vod users simultaneously. But it is impossible, the calculation does not take the tcp/ip protocol overhead, network collision,..... into account. Then, how many vod users can be supported in my system ? Give me more suggestions!

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is the video stream multicast and played live or does each user access the video at different timeslots. In other words, our users accessing the video stream like a stock ticker - live TV or are they accessing it like a training video.

The switch is definitely able to handle 1000 users, but that does not take into accoutn the Vod System llimit of 1 Gbps w/o tcp/ip overhead.