Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

The Login Local command

Unanswered Question
Jun 19th, 2002
User Badges:

To ensure security for a remote router telnet function do I use the command “login local” to perform the authentication.

Am I right that the command “login local” is used only with the TACACS or RADIUS implementation? as well as use in the call back function only?

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
yusuff Wed, 06/19/2002 - 03:23
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

login local means that the user database for authentication is "local on the router" i.e. you crate username/passwords on the router (in config mode using username command)

If you want to authenticate telnet users and your users reside in TACACS/RADISU server then you should do;

aaa authentication login default group tacacs (or radius)

HTH

R/Yusuf

wanab Wed, 06/19/2002 - 23:10
User Badges:

Thanks for info. I can’t find the CISCO site regarding the command “login local” and trying to find some explanation to this. It would be great help to point to me the URL link.

I am looking for some explanation on the function, how do I used it, is there any authentication done by the router and how it does it and am not using any of the external TACAS+,RADIUS authentication.

Anyway, I manage to create a login local for remote login but need to understand how it work.

Thanks for help

Actions

This Discussion