Views
Helpful
Replies

2501 & 3640 Load Balance

alexsp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 routers : 1 2501 and 1 3640, and 2 64 Kbps ppp Links between this routers, I wanna do a load balance between this 2 links, someone told me to do I load-sharing but what kind of load-sharing I must use to connect the 2501 and 3640, the IOS of 2501 is IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 12.0(14), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1), the IOS of 3640 is IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3640-I-M), Version 12.0(5)XK1, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE

SOFTWARE (fc1) .

I tried put the command ip load-sharing per-packet into serial 1 of 2501 but the command was unrecognized, what is wrong ?

Thanks,

Alex

1 Reply 1

umarzoli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

first of all there should be allready a session balancing over the two links if the routing over both lines have the same routing metric. This didn't garanty that there

is the same load on the links. To garanty that you have two possibilties:

1. Switch of the ip route-cache "no ip route-cache" on the serial interfaces. If you do so, the router will do a load sharing "packet by packet". This forces the router to switch every packet with a look up over the processor which increases the CPU load, but by two 64kbps lines there should be no danger.

2. You can do it by configuring both lines into a ppp-multilink bundle. For configuration see CCO

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/dialts_c/dtsprt4/dcdppp.htm

regards Ulrich

www.netaid.de