cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error when using copy xmodem flash (% Error opening xmodem: (I/O Error)

jeff.breedlove
Level 1
Level 1

I have a c2611 that I am trying to load a flash in to. The documentation provided with the router has yet to work me. This has been true with the configuration and now it is true with the flash of IP Plus.

I am using a W2K O/S. I have a connection to the router via console cable to console port from COM1 of my laptop. I go into enable, and now I am at the router prompt

router#

I type in at the prompt copy xmodem flash, and then press enter.

There is a some CCCCCCCC's forming underneath. After a few seconds I get an error message, % Error opening xmodem: (I/O Error)

This leads me to believe there is some type of communication error between the router and the com port on the computer, but I can open a emulation terminal session fine.

Can someone out there please get me on the right track?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

2 Replies 2

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

Why not use TFTP instead of xmoden in "normal" router mode.

TFTP is lot faster and better than xmodem.

Try with a different PC if not.

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

Jeff,

Are you initiating the xmodem file transfer after your copy command is entered on your 2611?

Example:

Copy the image to the flash using HyperTerminal for Microsoft Windows, or another terminal software program. The command on the switch will be copy

xmodem: flash: where is the name of file that you downloaded. With HyperTerminal, use the TRANSFER -- SEND FILE option using

the XMODEM protocol. Be sure to start the XMODEM download within 3 seconds; otherwise, the switch will timeout the XMODEM copy.

When the XMODEM request appears, use the appropriate command on the terminal-emulation software to start the transfer and copy the software image

into Flash memory: switch: copy xmodem: flash:image_filename. For example,

Hope this helps,

Don

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: