cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

File sharing between VLANS

janith
Level 1
Level 1

I have a LAN which is divided in to several VLANS. InterVLAN routing is done through the 6509. Each VLAN comprises of mostly WinNT,WIN98,WIN2000 clients. One key requirement of the customer is also to browse through network neighborhood and share files.

I came to know that file sharing is not possible between VLANS unless you have a WINS server in each VLAN or configure bridging although InterVLAN routing is configured.

If anybody knows the reason behind this and has a suitable solution your contribution is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Champika

4 Replies 4

I assume that you have at least one (1) wins server configure in your network,

If that is the case I also experience the same problem (network Browsing in Vlan)

Probably the discussion under the topics "Vlan in windows NT" dated June 17 could help you. I tried that approach and resolved my problem.

its a long conversation by the way..but worth a time.

janith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Leornado

Thanks for the reply. Actually this is my first time posting in here. I think this is a great way to learn from each other. I read your case. Will try to implement the same and let you know id it works. If there is anything else that I should keep in mind please let me know.

Champika

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check out the following document.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/#windows

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

WINS or brigding are 2 solutions but there is a third: configuring ip helper-addresses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: