Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

CatOs 7.1 and RSTP

Unanswered Question
Jul 2nd, 2002
User Badges:

Hi all!

We are thinking of using CatOs 7.1 and Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol in a new Backbone. Is there any known issues? Maybe experiences of this solution in a live (not a lab) network?

Petri

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
bsivasub Tue, 07/02/2002 - 20:35
User Badges:

first of all we support 802.1s with 802.1w if that is what you mean.

Typically you should have just MSTP switches. PVST+ will inter-operate with the MSTP but there are some specific configuration restrictions.

we don't support RSTP alone per vlan currently.

I suggest 7.2.2 software

here is some nice links which is a MUST read

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/#SpanningTree

pkirjala Tue, 07/02/2002 - 20:50
User Badges:

Yes, I meant 802.1s with 802.1w.

In the transition phase we will need to have RSTP working along with the old STP topology. The 7.2.2 software, is it rather new?!

I've read those documents you refer to and I would like to hear experiences from the users.

Thanks anyway!

Petri

milan.kulik Tue, 07/02/2002 - 23:43
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

Hi,

I didn't dare to install RSTP (or MST in Cisco terminology) in my backbone for three reasons:

1) it's too fresh and I'm afraid of bugs

2) if you're running it along with PVST+ switches (and you have to because Cat3500 don't support MST, e.g.) you must move the root bridge into the MST cloud - it's impossible to leave the current network as it is and just add new MST switches

3) from the PVST+ switches point of view the whole MST cloud looks like one "big bridge" which can make STP troubleshooting pretty complicated.

Generally I would try it in a case of building a new network but not in my living productive network which has to be up and running 99,999% of the time.

Regards,

Milan

pkirjala Wed, 07/03/2002 - 00:50
User Badges:

Hi!

Your reasons number 2 and 3 make the transition phase look rather challenging, I dare say...

Petri

milan.kulik Wed, 07/03/2002 - 01:17
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

Well,

if you accept this challenge, please let me know your experiences.

Regards,

Milan

Actions

This Discussion