Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOs 7.1 and RSTP

pkirjala
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

We are thinking of using CatOs 7.1 and Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol in a new Backbone. Is there any known issues? Maybe experiences of this solution in a live (not a lab) network?

Petri

5 Replies 5

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

first of all we support 802.1s with 802.1w if that is what you mean.

Typically you should have just MSTP switches. PVST+ will inter-operate with the MSTP but there are some specific configuration restrictions.

we don't support RSTP alone per vlan currently.

I suggest 7.2.2 software

here is some nice links which is a MUST read

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/#SpanningTree

Yes, I meant 802.1s with 802.1w.

In the transition phase we will need to have RSTP working along with the old STP topology. The 7.2.2 software, is it rather new?!

I've read those documents you refer to and I would like to hear experiences from the users.

Thanks anyway!

Petri

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

I didn't dare to install RSTP (or MST in Cisco terminology) in my backbone for three reasons:

1) it's too fresh and I'm afraid of bugs

2) if you're running it along with PVST+ switches (and you have to because Cat3500 don't support MST, e.g.) you must move the root bridge into the MST cloud - it's impossible to leave the current network as it is and just add new MST switches

3) from the PVST+ switches point of view the whole MST cloud looks like one "big bridge" which can make STP troubleshooting pretty complicated.

Generally I would try it in a case of building a new network but not in my living productive network which has to be up and running 99,999% of the time.

Regards,

Milan

Hi!

Your reasons number 2 and 3 make the transition phase look rather challenging, I dare say...

Petri

Well,

if you accept this challenge, please let me know your experiences.

Regards,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: