ASK THE EXPERT- STORAGE NETWORKING

Unanswered Question
Jul 8th, 2002
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

This is a unique opportunity to discuss storage solutions using Cisco Systems' storage router products with Dan Hersey. Dan is a Technical Marketing Engineer for Andiamo Systems which is working closely with Cisco Systems' Storage Technology Group in designing storage solutions using Cisco Systems' storage router products. Feel free to post any questions relating to designing and deploying Storage Area Networks.

Dan might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through July 19. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
murabi Wed, 07/10/2002 - 09:53
User Badges:

When deploying the SN5420 in an EMC environment can I still use Volume Logix for management?

TIA

mrfrase Wed, 07/10/2002 - 11:17
User Badges:

Yes you can still use Volume Logix if you run the SN542X in Transpanent mode. This mode will allow the Volume Logix to still manage the storage access to the IP attached Host. This solution is being qualified by EMC so watch there website for certification information and date.

You can also still run the SN542X in normal mode and let the SN542X manage the storage to iSCSI host access with Volume Logix still on the array but keep mind the Volume Logix will only see the SN542X and not the Hosts on the IP side.

s-doyle Thu, 07/11/2002 - 07:27
User Badges:

Can I use the SN5428 as a standalone Fibre Channel switch?

mrfrase Thu, 07/11/2002 - 07:55
User Badges:

Yes, the SN5428 can run as a 8 port standalone FC switch. It is FC-SW-2 compliant. The newer 2.3 code will allow for e_port connectivity to other SN5428's or other brand FC-SW-2 compliant FC Switches.

a-vazquez Mon, 07/15/2002 - 07:46
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Can the SN5420 be used to bridge two SANs over long distance?

dahersey Tue, 07/16/2002 - 09:02
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Yes. The SN5420 supports iSCSI SAN Interconnect mode that allows Fibre Channel traffic to be passed, via iSCSI, over an IP network. Certain applications, which may not use standard SCSI operations, may not work in this mode.

This technology should not be confused with Fibre Channel over IP (FCIP). FCIP acts as a tunnel as encapsulates Fibre Channel where iSCSI SAN Interconnect terminated Fibre Channel and translates to iSCSI.

j-block Wed, 07/17/2002 - 07:35
User Badges:

Do I need to deploy Gigabit Ethernet on all my servers to deploy iSCSI?

dahersey Wed, 07/17/2002 - 09:35
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Absolutely not. Although the SN5420 and SN5428 use Gigabit Ethernet for connectivity to the network, servers can use either 10/100 or GigE. This allows you flexibility in deciding which servers do or do not require the high bandwidth of GigE. Looking at the throughput of you applications will help you decide if you need GigE or 10/100 connectivity for your servers.

bbaley Thu, 07/18/2002 - 06:43
User Badges:

How does the SN542X handle the difference between the MTU's of 1.5k on

ethernet and 2k on FC?

dahersey Fri, 07/19/2002 - 10:33
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

If we talk about a single FC Frame of 2k, the frame will be fragmented into smaller IP packets based on the MTU size. In the reverse case the 1.5k IP packet would fit in a single FC frame.

In the case of multiple 1.5k IP packets, the SN542X will buffer the entire I/O and send out maximum size FC frames.

Actions

This Discussion