cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity & Active Directory

svandoorne
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question regarding Unity and AD. When you have the following setup: voicemail only and 2 unity's (configured for failover) with AD on both and an off box exchange. Will Unity be able to stay up when the AD goes down that is assigned as the DefaultDomainController in the cisco registry, (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Active Voice\Directory Connectors\DirSynchAD\1.00\Domains\Monkey.com). Tnx in advance

2 Replies 2

DAVE GENTON
Level 2
Level 2

In this configuration you would not put AD on either of the Unity boxes, it would be running on the off-box exchange mail store. Therefore if Unity goes down (primary) the secondary still has a message store and AD (GC/DC) to connect to.

Dave

"In this configuration you would not put AD on either of the Unity boxes, it would be running on the off-box exchange mail store. Therefore if Unity goes down (primary) the secondary still has a message store and AD (GC/DC) to connect to. "

As it would if you had AD on both unity boxes. He did say AD on both. but remember to configure the second DC as a GC for only the first will be a GC by default,

either way obviously you have a single point of failure in exchange for voicemail purposes however putting AD on both unity boxes has its advantages

For example if he had AD on exchange only and that box failed beyond recoverability(a word?) , your whole Forest is gone. However if both Unity boxes were DC/GC you could have 2 boxes completely fail and the forest is still very much intact.

Backups are great but they dont comfort me as much as Directory Services redundancy.

I am sure after further thought you'll agree that to have AD on Exchange only is not the only way and in fact probably not the best way. Just my opinion.