cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNA Messages from a CIP Attached Router

ayaz.akhtar
Level 1
Level 1

We would like to connect a remote IBM 3745 to a Mainframe via a CIP attached router.

The set-up is as follows:

3745 -- SDLC/TR -- 2503 -- 64K Leased Line -- 7507 -- CIP -- Mainframe

1. Will the remote 3745 be able to recognise the SNA messages sent from the Mainframe?

2. What will be the PU Code of the CIP attached router, the 7507? Will it be PU 4?

3. Will the remote 3745 be able to recognise the addressing structure of the message header - I believe 29 bytes?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

You can connect a CIP to a remote 3745 as a PU4 but the 3745 will need to have another connection back to its owning VTAM, either via a channel or another FEP because VTAM cannot aquire ownership of a FEP via the CIP connection not can it be loaded over this connection.

Sorry, I think my original question may have been slightly misleading.

The set-up is as follows:

remote Mainframe -- remote 3745 -- SDLC/TR -- 2503 -- 64K Leased Line -- 7507 -- CIP -- local Mainframe

So, in relation to your reply, the owning VTAM for the remote 3745 is the remote Mainframe, and not the local Mainframe.

Based on this -

1. Will the remote 3745 be able to recognise the SNA messages sent from the local Mainframe?

2. What will be the PU Code of the CIP attached router, the 7507? Will it be PU 4?

3. Will the remote 3745 be able to recognise the addressing structure of the message header - I believe 29 bytes?

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure what you mean by SDLC/TR? Is this FEP SDLC or Token ring attached? But in any case, you can use DLSW to connect to the local mainframe via the CIP. All SNA traffic will be recognised but the CIP does not appear as a PU to the mainframe only the XCA major node is required. The session established is PU5 - PU4.

The following URL gives an example and some caveats for an SDLC connected FEP -

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/697/fep.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: