cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP on frame-relay

whewetson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone. A little problem I am having running EIGRP on a frame network. If I run the 'show ip eigrp top', I see all the routers; but when I run 'show ip route eigrp' I only see half the routes. Any ideas?

6 Replies 6

umarzoli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

this behavior is correct, because in the EIGRP topologie database you see the

feasible succesors and in the routing table the sucessors. So, you will see the actual used routes in the routing table and possible backup routes in the topologie database.

Note: the backup routes are only shown in the topologie database when the feasibilty

condition is fulfilled.

The feasible condition is fulfilled when the received metric of for a route is better

than the actual calculated metric for that route over another interface. The received metric is the metric which was announced by a neighbor router before the receiving router has recalculated the metric with the bandwidth and delay on the interface where the metric was received. (Anything clear now?).

Best thing is you read how EIGRP is functioning:

http://www.cisco.com/E-Learning/cmn/vod4e/public/jbothra_12_6_2001_16_21_47/index.htm

kind regards

Ulrich Marzoli

www.netaid.de

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

I'm not certain I understand the queston--are you seeing more routes in the topo table than the routing table? This is normal operation--only the best path is placed in the routing table. Or are you seeing all the neighbors, but no routes? This sounds like it wouldn't be normal operation. :-)

BTW--the eigrp white paper, available on cco, is also a very good reference for free on the protocol. There are at least four books with good eigrp information in them as well.

:-)

Russ

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

whewetson
Level 1
Level 1

sorry guys, I was a little exhausted this morning. The WAN was running IGRP, so I decided to implement EIGRP seeing that they are using VLSM's ( and it is a better routing protocol ) .I implemented EIGRP on all the routers and made sure I could see them with the 'show ip eigrp top' command. When I remove IGRP from the routers, they lose some of the routes to other routers configured with EIGRP in the same AS. The WAN is a combination of frame and diginet. The frame routers seem to be the problem ones. They are in the progress of upgrading their line which is pretty congested.

Thanx

Later

whewetson
Level 1
Level 1

sorry guys, I was a little exhausted this morning. The WAN was running IGRP, so I decided to implement EIGRP seeing that they are using VLSM's ( and it is a better routing protocol ) .I implemented EIGRP on all the routers and made sure I could see them with the 'show ip eigrp top' command. When I remove IGRP from the routers, they lose some of the routes to other routers configured with EIGRP in the same AS. The WAN is a combination of frame and diginet. The frame routers seem to be the problem ones. They are in the progress of upgrading their line which is pretty congested.

Thanx

Later