Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1200 5 Ghz module

gdolla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The forthcoming 5 Ghz module will be using 5.2 or 5.7 Ghz ?

Thanks

Gabor Dolla

6 Replies 6

r.phen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gabor,

I would say depend on the region. As per .11a standard, it should use U-NII1(5.15-5.25GHz) and U-NII2 (5.25-5.35 GHz). US and some of the countries in APAC (New Zealand and Australia) are following the standard. Meanwhile in Singapore most likely will only use U-NII1 since U-NII2 is a licensed Channel,

Unless the regulation change.

Regards,

Rudy Phen

I think Singapore now uses 5.15 - 5.25 and 5.725 - 5.85 GHz...

HI Desmond,

The frequency range that specified in 802.11a standard is 5.15-5.35 GHz.

If some vendors develop a device to use in 5.725-5.85 GHz frequency band then they do not follow the .11a spec.

From IDA regulation, so far I only know that 5.15-5.25 is unlicensed and can be used for .11a (4 channel only). From what I understand, Cisco may develop .11a product only for Singapore.

Do you have any reference where can I find information about using 5.725-5.85 Ghz frequency for WLAN in SG according to your statement before? thanks.

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

The IEEE 802.11a spec is 5.15GHz to 5.35GHz.

5.725GHz to 5.85GHz is ISM/U-NII airspace with a higher allowable power level. The combination of output power restrictions and poor penetration inherent in higher frequencies is going to leave a lot of people unhappy when they try to pull .11a APs out of the box expecting results similar to .11b!

Matthew Wheeler

Chief Wireless Architect

www.BlueModal.com

802.11a is working at 5.15-5.35 GHz range, but that range is not available

here in Hungary, Europe. 5.725-5.85 looks to be available.

I also read somewhere that in the UK a new range is allocated for non-professional use at 3.2 Ghz. Maybe this will happen accross Europe.

If that range will be usable in many countries, will Cisco support it ?

Even if it's not IEEE standard ?

Gabor Dolla

Budapest, Hungary

it will be 3.5 Ghz and licensed. sorry

Gabor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: