Views
Helpful
Replies

having problem with connectivity

y.xiang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am experiencing a connectivity problem with a pix 515. If i from the pix ping a host in the internal network, i get such as the following:

ping 192.168.131.4

192.168.131.4 response received --- 0ms

192.168.131.3 NO response received -- 1000ms

192.168.131.3 NO response received -- 1000ms

After this the host is no reachable any longer. But if i clear the ARP cache, i can reach again any host in the internal network from the pix for a certain time.

It seems there is a coherence with the arp cache of the pix. Who can give me further information and how can I resolve this problem?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

yusuff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It seems you are having ARP issues, maybe duplicate IP address i.e. another host is ARPing for the address you are trying to ping or the PIX interface address.

Check the switch CAM table, also change the addressing i.e. PIX IP address and/or the host IP address, see how it goes.

HTH

R/Yusuf

Hi,

thank you very much for your reply. But this issue is not ony with one certain host but with every host in the inertnal network. Our network topology is like this:

PIX

|

HUB

|

|--------|

| |

Switch Switch

Do you mean that there could be a duplicate IP with the PIX? Otherwise, I think there may be no trouble although another host is ARPing, can't it?

Thanks

another thing to notice is that the replies come back from 192.168.131.3 and not 192.168.131.4

check who is .4 ??

if you connect directly with a crossover cable, i guess everything must be working fine, correct ? just double-check.

try using a switch instead of a hub.

HTH

R/Yusuf