Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP load balancing

amit.singh
Level 1
Level 1

Can i load balance between two links coming from 2 diff ISP's

i have a PRIVATE AS number eg 6554 or something i dont have a public as number can do it with a private as number???

4 Replies 4

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

It depends upon your ISPs, because the situation you describe is not a valid BGP configuration without a lot of cooperation between your two ISPs. The only way to load balance traffic into your site is to get your two ISPs to further cooperate to provide it. This may or may not be possible for them but will depend upon how they are currently faking the multihoming you are currently enjoying. There is nothing you can do without their help. Depending upon how the two ISPs work together to support your site, you may be able to load balance outbound traffic to the Internet from your site.

Good luck and have fun!

VIncent C Jones

Hi,

More...

1.st - RIPE or IANA are giving only class C's and that meens a lot of ip's

2.nd - You msut have a public AS (that you can ask for in IANA or RIPE)

3.rd - As mentioned, the ISP have to cooperate or else "bananas"

4-th - You wil be able to loadbalance ONLY outbound traffic, as ISP are unlikely to change metrics and BGP parameters for costumers....

...hope this helps...

PT

bhose
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You may want to look into the RadWare Linkproof product. Its an applicance that claims to be able to load balance seperate ISP connections without the need to implement BGP. I believe that its does it via NAT. They also claim that it can load balance outbound and inbound traffic.

Regards

amit.singh
Level 1
Level 1

Well the customer wants to be all cisco :) and dont want to go for a AS number so i guess only outbound traffic can be load balanced :| anyways thanks for your help