cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Opening port 3389 on Cisco 806 router

jripp00
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 806 router. Before I put it between the PC and cable modem I could remote desktop (port 3389) into the PC from outside the network. Now, since the router is on the network, only the telnet port is open from the outside. I did a port scan on my inside PC and it shows port 3389 is still open from the inside. I don't have any access list's on the router so I don't know why it's blocking that port. Any ideas?

John

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is the 806 router doing NAT/PAT. Does your PC now have a private IP address or does it still have a global Internet address? If the 806 is doing address translation ("ip nat ....." type commands), then you'll need to create a port translation through to your internal PC.

I messed around with the router this weekend and got it working. I used this command:

ip nat inside source static tcp 10.10.10.3 3389 interface Ethernet1 3389

Yes, the PC has a private IP. I turned off DHCP on the inside interface because I only have one PC inside the network so far. The telnet port is also open from the outside. Do you think that's a bad idea even though I have a username and strong password setup for vty sessions?

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: