Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN and backup interface

rnarayana
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I have an ISDN BRI as the backup for T1 link.If I configure the BRI interface as the backup for T1 then in the Show ISDN Status layer 1 shows as deactivated.But if I configure a dialer interface as the backup for the T1 then layer is active and backup is working properly.What can be the problem when I use a physical interface as the back up for T1 line.

Can any one advise on this.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

If you used the backup command, that is normal behaviour. That command deactivates the BRI interface until the backup is initiated.

See the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/129/bri-layer1.html

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There will be no problem..If you use interface (physical or dialer) with a backup command, that interface will be in "standby" mode untill the primary interface becomes down/down or up/down....You can verify what using "sh interface xxx"

With that router will disable the layer 1 for that physical interface..

But for dialer interface, its a virtual interface used for DDR..so when you use "backup interface dialer x", only dialer interface will go in standby mode..BRI interface will remain as it is..

Its always a better idea to have backup command with dialer interface to avoid bri line with down/down mode which can trigger alarm to Some telco switches which telco people don't like that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: