Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN and backup interface

rnarayana
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I have an ISDN BRI as the backup for T1 link.If I configure the BRI interface as the backup for T1 then in the Show ISDN Status layer 1 shows as deactivated.But if I configure a dialer interface as the backup for the T1 then layer is active and backup is working properly.What can be the problem when I use a physical interface as the back up for T1 line.

Can any one advise on this.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

If you used the backup command, that is normal behaviour. That command deactivates the BRI interface until the backup is initiated.

See the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/129/bri-layer1.html

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There will be no problem..If you use interface (physical or dialer) with a backup command, that interface will be in "standby" mode untill the primary interface becomes down/down or up/down....You can verify what using "sh interface xxx"

With that router will disable the layer 1 for that physical interface..

But for dialer interface, its a virtual interface used for DDR..so when you use "backup interface dialer x", only dialer interface will go in standby mode..BRI interface will remain as it is..

Its always a better idea to have backup command with dialer interface to avoid bri line with down/down mode which can trigger alarm to Some telco switches which telco people don't like that.