cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPTV Content Manager Password Protection

j.a.m.e.s
Level 3
Level 3

Does anyone know whether it is possible to password protect the IPTV content manager config pages? The IPTV instruction manual shows you how to restrict access to certain IP addresses, but it makes no mention of passwords! (our IP addresses are based on DHCP, so this isn't much use)

Since Cisco are using the Apache webserver, I thought I'd create a .htaccess file and add a password to a .htpasswd file! Sure enough, this prompted for a password when we pointed a browser at http://my_content_manager, but what we realised 2 days later was that none of the 100's of IPTV Viewers were getting any updates from the Content Manager! Scarey! The cause of this was that the IPTV Viewers are not capable of performing user-authentication with Apache.

What I've now done, is to use the <FilesMatch> directive in Apache to password protect the index.html file and iptvmain.pl file only (these two files are used for admin of the IPTV Content Manager, but not IPTV info retrieval). This seems to provide a bit of protection and still allows the IPTV Viewers to get content information. However, it is far from perfect....

Is there anyone out there who has been through this and knows any better?

What Cisco should have done is to provide seperate directories for the perl scripts used for configuartion and the files which the IPTV Viewers need to retrieve updates. Maybe they can do this in future...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

James.

1 Reply 1

sachon
Level 1
Level 1

v3.4 of IPTV content manager allows for password protection.